Pages

Monday 14 July 2014

Parenting Advice Needed




Hello readers as far as frugal living goes this is kind of off the beaten track but I would really welcome the view of other parents out there. As a lot of you will know my 6 year old son Brandon is autistic which can often cause behavioural problems. Today I was too poorly to pick him up from school so my friend S picked him up for me. When she dropped him off she told me that there had been a problem in school today and the teacher would like me to go in when I am able for a word. It transpires that Brandon had strangled another child in the dinner line and had to be removed and taken to the head teachers office. Although Brandon does have behavioural problems he has NEVER put his hands on another child (other than his brothers when they fight amongst themselves). My heart dropped when I heard all of this as this is not the way I have brought my son up to behave. I asked him why he did what he did and he told me that this boy had been mean to him on a number of occasions. I told Brandon that it was unacceptable for him to put his hands on another child and that if he had a problem with this boy he should have spoken to me or a teacher and NOT taken matters into his own hands. Just because he is autistic does not justify his behaviour and I know that if I was the mother of this other little boy I would be furious. He was sent to his room immediately for half an hour and has had his computer privilege taken away from him until I have spoken to his teacher tomorrow and come up with a suitable lengthier punishment. When I see the teacher tomorrow I will be telling her that I want Brandon made to apologise to this boy (I was kind of shocked that this had not been done anyway) but also that this young man needs to be spoken to about tormenting Brandon and discuss a suitable punishment for Brandon to try and teach him that this kind of behaviour is completely unacceptable. As I say I do not condone violence in any way shape or form and will not tolerate that kind of behaviour from one of my children regardless of his autism or the fact the boy had been tormenting him. If he had a problem he should have come to me or his teacher so that we could have dealt with it for him. Please do not think that Brandon is a bad child because he is not he is a wonderful, kind, compassionate little boy and this is completely out of character for him. I have had another chat with him this evening and asked him "do you understand why mummy is so disappointed with what you have done" and he has told me he does and that he should have spoken to myself or another teacher instead. His exact words to me were "I will say sorry to him tomorrow even though he is mean to me" this is a decision he has made on his own without my telling him. I am hoping that this means he understands the severity of his actions and will learn from them and that this will be a one off incident.

Have you ever had similar problems ? Do you think I am being to hard on him or not hard enough ? I would welcome any parenting advice on this one readers.

Many Thanks
And
Much Love
Claire xx xx xx

4 comments:

  1. Clare
    I think you've handled it really well - but wait for tomorrow and get the full story - this child may not be a little angel and may have been bullying Brandon for some time and today was the final straw for Brandon. My lads had their moments and were far from little angels! But they both made good friends at school and are both still good friends with the same people in their 30's - we were lucky none of my children suffered at the hands of bullies - good luck for tomorrow xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support Trudie I know that Brandon is pretty well liked and gets on with most of his peers which is why this has come as a bit of a shock to me. I will not tolerate Brandon being picked on and will insist the boy in question is spoken to about this but at the same time I feel I need to make sure Brandon knows his actions were unacceptable.
      Much Love
      Claire xx xx xx

      Delete
  2. I hope you manage to get it sorted soon, never having been in this situation I hve no advice. Thanks for linking up to the parenting pin it party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for having me Andrea and I will be participating more frequently now I know how lol. I managed to get it sorted out as it turned out to be 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. After speaking with the head teacher I found it was not as serious an issue as I first thought xxx

      Delete