Pages

Tuesday 8 July 2014

Food Banks And MD

Hello readers sorry there was no post yesterday but my MD decided to rear her ugly head. I was fine first thing so headed off to Morrison's to do my weekly shop. I only needed a few bits and bobs as we are eating down what we have at home and I am doing a lot of baking to save money on treats. I am an avid reader of Frugal Queen and was inspired by her to do something I am ashamed to say I have not done before. You can read Froogs post here  http://www.frugalqueen.co.uk/2014/07/this-week-bargain-shopping.html

My weekly shop came to a little under £15 and I usually budget £50 a week to feed the 4 of us (sometimes 5 depending if the Mr is over for a few days). So I had £35 at my disposal. I decided to take a leaf out of Froogs book and spend £20 on food for the local food bank and save the other £15 to treat the Mr to lunch today. I myself have benefitted from a food parcel from the local food bank in the past when things have been very tight here at Tilly Towers so it was only right I give something back to them. There is no food collection point at Morrison's but I know there is one in the market place information centre which is a 10 minute walk. Being a bit wobbly at the moment and knowing there would be to much to carry with my walking stick I decided I needed to borrow one of the supermarket trollies to get it up there. I spoke to the lady in charge at the supermarket and explained what I wanted to do and she was happy to lend me a trolley as long as I brought it back when I had finished. I think the fact that she lives on the same street as me assured her I was not going to pinch the trolley lol. I managed to get the following items.....

4x Tins of beans and sausages
4x Jars of jam
4x Tins of ravioli
4x Tins of meatballs
4x Jars of ham and beef sandwich paste
4x Jars of chicken sandwich paste
4x Tinkerbelle shaped spaghetti (reduced with a use by of 2015)
4x Boxes of 4 vegetable cup a soups
4x Packs of chicken noodles
4x Packs of curry noodles
4x Bags of toffees
4x Packs of custard creams
4x Bars of chocolate
4x Boxes of cornflakes
4x UHT skimmed milk

All of the items were value brands as I wanted to get as much food as I could for my money. Lets face it when you are hungry and have no money for food you don't really care what brand you are eating your just happy to be eating something. All of this came to a little under £19 and there was loads. When I got to the food bank and told the ladies it was all for them the ladies were a little taken aback and asked me if I was sure I wanted to donate all of it. They explained to me that they are just a collection point and that the food gets sent to the actual food bank over in Warminster and is then distributed to families in need in the form of 3 day food parcels. They offered me a drink and said how grateful they were but I declined as I could feel a migraine starting and did not have my hearing aids in so would have found an in depth conversation very difficult to follow. I am so pleased I was in a position to help 4 families eat for a few days and will definitely be making this a monthly thing. Next time I will make sure I wear my hearing aids so that I can stop for a drink and a chat and learn some more about the running of the food banks.

By the time I got home I was in a lot of pain with my MD I had a migraine, raging tinnitus, head pressure, ear pressure, and could barely hear a thing. I took some paracetomol and went to sleep. I woke up briefly at 2pm to find the Mr had arrived for a few days which was a relief. He took one look at me and told me to go back to sleep he would collect Brandon from school and keep an eye on the kids. I didn't need telling twice and that was me out for the count till this morning.

I woke up this morning feeling very woozy so went back to sleep again. I woke up about 11am and told the Mr I wanted to take him for lunch despite being ill. I attempted to walk with my stick but it just was not possible as I was all over the place (my balance is shot today) so the Mr insisted I go in the wheelchair. We took a walk into town and I returned a DVD I had borrowed from the library and took a few more out. We then popped into the air ambulance charity shop (my favourite charity shop ever). They had a sale on 2x kids clothing for £1 and any item of ladies clothing (except the ball gowns) £1. I got 12 t-shirts for the 3 boys all brand names such as Next, Hollister, and O'Neil and I got myself 2 pairs of shorts £1 each and 2 dresses £1 each one is from Monsoon and one is from Evans. We then went to our favourite place in Westbury for lunch. It is a locally owned business and the prices are very good. The couple who run it are lovely and always have a chat with you. The couple are fond of my 3 boys and whenever we have them with us they often give them a free biscuit for afters :)
We had a large tuna baguette each and a can of fizzy pop each and it came to £7 for the 2 of us. By the time we got home I was completely whipped out again so went back to sleep and have only just surfaced. It is so much easier having the Mr here when I am ill I can flake out without having to worry the children are not being looked after. Anyway I'm still feeling quite unwell so I'm going to sign off for the night.

This week when you do your shopping why not see if they have a food bank collection point and donate something even if you only donate a value box of cornflakes 32p, or a value pack of noodles 20p it will make all the difference to a family in need. Thank you Froogs for your post as it inspired me to do the same.

Much Love
Claire xx xx xx

No comments:

Post a Comment