Pages

Wednesday 9 July 2014

Cheap Cheat Cupcakes

Hello readers today I have felt much better than the last 2 days :) This morning we got the free bus to Trowbridge to pick up a few bits and pieces. I got 2 bags of frozen value sausages and 2 bags of value chicken nuggets. I also got a few baking items but more on that shortly. Ben and I are not very keen on the Morrison's value sausages we find them slightly spicy and really not to our taste. The Tesco value sausages are much more to our taste and have no spicy after taste so I got 2 bags which should last us some time. At £1.50 for 20 sausages they are not as cheap as they used to be and have risen in price by 50% since I last bought them. They were £1 a bag back then and that was only about 3 months ago. That said it works out at 7.5p per sausage and they can be used for many a frugal recipe such as sausage casserole, sausage with potatoes and vegetables, also you can defrost them and squeeze the sausage meat out of them to make homemade sausage rolls. Brandon is a little fussy about what he eats at the moment and whilst he enjoys a lot of my dinners there are a few his not to keen on so its handy to have a few bags of nuggets in for when we are having a meal he does not like so that he can have some nuggets instead. As Morrison's do not do a value brand of chicken nugget in my local supermarket I picked up a couple of bags while I was in Tesco today which should last quite a while.


Now readers are you like me and look longingly at the gorgeous looking cupcakes winking at you from the bakers window ? Then you spot the price tag of £1 or more for that gorgeous looking cupcake and decide its to expensive and walk away feeling deflated. I had a look in Tesco today and saw a platter of 12 cupcakes for £6 half the price of the bakers at 50p each but still out of my price range. Well take a look at these little beauties.....



12 Yummy scrummy cup cakes which took me 5 minutes to knock out and cost me just £2.69 so approx. 22p each 1/4 of the price of the bakers. Here's how I made my cheap cheat cupcakes.....
I got a pack of 12 Tesco value fairy cakes and topped each one with cupcake icing from a can. It was super easy to apply the icing and the can comes with different nozzles for different patterns and clear instructions on use. The cupcake icing was £3.49 a can and it says it will do 10 cupcakes if like me you don't smother the cupcake in icing but instead give a generous centre blob you could easily get 20 cupcakes per can. To make it even cheaper Tesco often have their bakery items on a 3 for 2 sale stock up on the cans of cupcake icing when they are on offer and this will bring the cost down even more. I bought 1 can of chocolate icing and 1 can of vanilla icing. Finish off by sprinkling with some decorations and you have some fancy pantsie cupcakes that were quick and cheap to make.


You remember the 2  dresses I got in the charity shop sale for £1 each well I wore one today and the Mr took a picture that I thought I would share with you to show you what I got for my £1.....


I am not the most photogenic person in the world lol but as you can see the dress is very nice and at just £1 a complete bargain.




For tea tonight we had 3 slices of pizza each it was just me and the boys as Lee was called into work unexpecitedly to cover for someone. It served 4 and cost 68p so 17p per person. The 2 pizza bases were actually cheese and tomatoe flat breads and cost me 9p each I added about half a bag of yellow sticker cheese as we like our pizza cheesey 50p. I also added a few slices of chopped ham to my half. Popped it in the oven and within 10 minutes it was done quick, easy, and cheap tea that we all enjoyed. In fact Ben told me it tasted even better than the ones you get from Dominos or Pizza Hut :)


 
 

What's the best bargain you have ever found it can be anything from food to clothes or holidays to furniture ?

Much Love
Claire xx xx xx

1 comment:

  1. That's a lovely dress and what a bargain:-) I wish the charity shops here were as cheap as that.

    Pizza and cupcakes - can I come to tea please?

    Toni x

    ReplyDelete