Pages

Tuesday 5 March 2013

Saving on Electric

As I have mentioned in the past we are an all electric house no gas at all. I moved to this house for a number of reasons one was that it was close to the school so Ben can walk there by himself, one was the wonderful allotments at the end of my garden, one was that it was so much bigger than my last house, and one was that it is an all electric property (I hope to install solar panels once my debt is cleared). I miss my old house terribly but was left with no choice but to move thanks to my MD and if I was going to have to move it was going to be to a property that would work for me and the boys. In my old house we spent on average £1200 a year on gas and electric. Since moving here my yearly utility bill comes to around £900 and I hope to reduce it even more. This is a list of some of the things I either already do or intend to do to reduce my electric bill even further.
1 Make sure everything is switched off at the mains
2 No heating on ......we already use electric blankets and extra clothes to save here but I will be buying a halogen heater to replace my electric fire which we only have on for a few hours in the early evening to warm the frontroom when its really cold.
3 Only have the hot water tank on every other day (it lasts really it does)
4 5 minute showers
5 Set the timer on my washing machine just before I go to bed so that the washing machine comes on at night when the electric is cheaper.
6 First thing in the morning put the washing on the line to dry if its still damp when its brought in or if its raining and cant go on the line put it on airers around the house to dry
7 Use a mini oven instead of a main oven (I have read that these use a lot less energy and can be purchased at quite reasonable prices)

I cant think of anymore at the moment but if you know of any I have missed please feel free to leave me a comment telling me what else I can do to save on electric.


Much Love
Claire xx xx xx

No comments:

Post a Comment