Pages

Monday 25 March 2013

Roast On A Budget

I have been in a MD coma again all day today it has been very hard going the last few weeks with all these attacks I am having. Today I received a great amount of support from someone I barely know but her words help so much as I know she is going through the same. H is someone I met (virtually) through an online support group for MD sufferers and she herself is having a hard time with daily attacks at the moment. For her to find the time to talk with me and support me even though she is having a terrible time also means the world to me right now. The Mr and friends are being incredibly supportive but to have someone who knows exactly how it feels to live with this some times debilitating disease has helped in ways I can not express. H I thank you from the bottom of my heart and I hope I can be there to help and support you in the same way you have myself. OK pity party over with yesterday I made a roast dinner on a very small budget. We had pork, veg, roast pots, stuffing, crackling, and gravy.




 I put my pork shank in my slow cooker filled with half a pot of gravy and left to cook for 5 hours on high.


My slow cooker which cost me just £10 from the charity shop


As you can see I got loads of meat from this 55p pork shank



I popped half a bag of ready roasties in the oven with a packet of value stuffing and the crackling from the pork. I used 1/3 of a bag of frozen veg which I cooked on the hob.


Finished result we was stuffed and it was very yummy


Costing for this meal was as follows
Pork shank 55p yellow sticker reduction
1/2 bag of ready roasties 50p iceland
Crackling free cut from the pork shank
Stuffing 15p Asda smartprice
1/3 of a bag of frozen veg 25p Tesco value
1/2 Pot of gravy 10p Tesco value
Total cost £1.55 and served 5 of us so 31p per portion for a roast dinner


I had a phone call from my mum today and I was able to make out most of what she said which was lovely as I usually can't hear a thing on the phone. She is coming down with my step dad, my sister, and my sisters girlfriend on Saturday to bring the boys their Easter eggs. My family live in London and it is a good 2 hour drive to get here so I am very grateful and really looking forward to seeing them all. Lee and I have also invited a few of my good friends to spend Easter Monday with us. Where Lee is away working for 2 weeks solid I am unable to get out of the house and am starting to feel very isolated and lonely. My friend Kelly suggested coming round and cooking a meal for me as she has said I need lots of TLC bless her heart she is a real love. So I decided to make an event of it and have invited the bestie and Leia along to. If I do have an attack and am confined to the sofa one of my lovely friends will take over the cooking for me and they have all seen me at my worst and know to just carry on as normal and not make a fuss. So I have an exciting Easter weekend coming up filled with good frugal food and good loving company and I have to tell you I can not wait.

Much Love
Claire xx xx xx

No comments:

Post a Comment