Pages

Sunday 4 January 2015

Extreme Frugalism

Hello readers are we all recovered and back to normal after the madness of Xmas ?

We went to London for a few days over the New year and I have to be completely honest it was a disaster :(
Brandons behaviour escalated to off the chart. I won't go into detail but will tell you that I broke down and cried more than once while we was away. A few people have asked me if I have considered the possibility that he has ADHD as well as Autism and I have to be honest I really think he does. He has to be the centre of attention at all times and he has very poor concentration skills. I will be taking him to the doctors this week to be referred back to the peditrition in the hope of getting some answers and much needed help for him.

Since getting home on Friday he has calmed right back down again. He really isn't good with change and so I made a hard but necessary decision. I informed both my mum and my dad that I will not be going back to London again as the 3 hour train journey each way and the escalation in Brandons behaviour is just to much to cope with and it really isn't fair to put Brandon through that or myself. In future if family members wish to see us they will have to come to us for a few days.

As I mentioned in a previous post we are going on holiday in February as a result we are looking at several weeks of extreme frugalism whilst I save every penny I can to take away with us. I certainly don't plan to spend it all but want to be prepared. I fully intend to come back with a good few pounds in my pocket lol. So there should be a fair few posts over the coming weeks about what I'm doing to save extra money for holiday.

Tea tonight was a bacon curry uber cheap and the boys assure me that it was delicious :)

Half a pack of Morrison's savers cooking bacon 44p
2 cups of tesco value rice 15p
A jar of tesco value curry sauce 20p

Serves 4 so 20p per portion

I will be looking for other cheap meals to make between now and February so if you have any suggestions please feel free to share them with me. I have also done a stock take of everything we have in the house and we will be eating down the food we have in before buying anything else. I made a comment to Lee before leaving London that I would have to go food shopping when we got back as it had started to look like old mother hubbards here at Tilly Towers but when I did my stock take and sat down with a pen and paper I managed to come up with a list of 19 meals. We have lots of snacks leftover from Xmas and lots of cereal (it's handy having a partner who works in a cereal factory lol) so the only things I will have to buy will be lunch food and the occasional top up shop. I will let you all know how I get on with this.

What do you do to save money on your weekly shop ?

Much Love
Claire xx xx xx

2 comments:

  1. i can empathize having had to spend all of xmas with our 19 year old Aspergers and autism youngest , we have barely left the building due to his behavior . Hes currently on an ASBO for persistent shoplifting that bans him from retail establishments, so that has been my only escape , it has done his dad the world of good to spend the whole 2 weeks with him , that usually falls all on me . Having already raised a son with difficulties who functions reasonably well in adult society , I have to say that the youngest is a disaster waiting to happen , no social skills , no empathy with anyone just smug superiority with no basis.
    I think you deserve a medal as do all full time special needs parents , its a rocky thankless road but most of them get there in the end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow looks like I'm not the only one with my hands full Kate. As you say it's a long road but a worthy one. From one special needs mum to another much love from Claire xxx

      Delete