Pages

Tuesday 27 January 2015

Working and disabilities

Hello readers how are we all today ? I have had a busy day with Brandon but a productive one. We started off with a meeting with Brad and Brandons disability worker H. You may remember me talking about the boys respite package in a previous post. It has now been agreed and finalised that the boys will have one weekend each a month with a respite career so that I can have a little break from the demands that inevitably come with having 2 children with autism, learning disabilities, and ADHD. This is a huge relief for me as up until recently I have had very little help with Brandon and his needs.

After our meeting we popped into town as I had to do some photocopying in the library and get the shopping for the week which consisted of.....
1 Loaf of bread
Cat food
Toilet roll

On our way home we treated ourselves to a cone of chips (£1.10) to eat in the park and Brandon had a little play before heading back home. This afternoon I have been helping Brad apply for a little Saturday job which is perfect for him. It will help with his independence training and give him a little pocket money also. It is very important to me that my children have a good work ethic in life and realize that if you are fit and healthy then work is how you go about earning a living.

I myself worked from the Age of 14 and it was the making of me. At 16 I held down 3 jobs so that I could pay my own way through college in spite of being eligible for state grants and funding I was determined to pay for it all myself. I held down several part time jobs after getting married and having the 2 eldest munchkins. It was not until I had Brandon and developed menieres disease during pregnancy that I was forced to quit working (it's hard holding down a job when you constantly have vertigo attacks and throw up everywhere). At one point I did try to return to work but on my first day I had a major MD attack and an ambulance had to be called for me. The employer was very nice about it but I was informed my services were no longer required which I completely understood and we parted on amicable terms. In spite of having a disability I claim no benefits for it I have been told I can claim income support, esa, and dla for myself but I don't. I receive a small carers allowance for looking after the boys with their disabilities and this is enough to get me by so I see no reason why I should milk the system for more money than I need. I have been told by family and friends alike that I should claim every penny I can but I am fiercely independent, a very proud woman, and I have a very strong work ethic. My hope is that by the time Brandon goes back to full time school (secondary school) my menieres disease will be in full remission and I can return to full time employment working with special needs children as I was before developing menieres disease.

I have never disclosed the fact that I am in fact unemployed on my blog before as there is such a stigma attached to people that don't work nowadays. I hope that by sharing this information with you you will be able to see that in fact I am someone who has always worked with a strong work ethic which I have instilled in my children and that the only reason I don't currently work is because I was struck down with this damn menieres disease in the prime of my career (a special needs teaching assistant for those who are interested).

Please pray, send good vibes, or just cross your fingers that the employers will see past Brads autism and he gets the job as he really wants it and he has the right qualifications and work experience to do the job well.

What are you thoughts on working with a disability ? What are your thoughts on those who genuinely have no choice but to give up working ? I always love to hear from you readers.

Much Love
Claire xx xx xx

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Claire, you work harder than any woman I know of. Have you ever thought about writing a book on your experiences with frugal living and autism? You have done an amazing job with your children and your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Anonymous you are very kind. It is definitely something I have considered in the past. I have an old school friend who is now a successful anchor woman in Egypt both her mother and father are successful journalists in Egypt also. She has told me a number of times I should write a book about my experiences. I have always loved writing both fiction and non fiction I guess I have just never had the confidence to take it that one step further (unlike my 11 year old son who was published at 6 years old and has worked with a famous author to publish one of his stories). I will definitely take this under council and look into my publishing options. Thank you again for your confidence in me and my abilities :) xxx

      Delete