Pages

Thursday 5 February 2015

Saving money every day

Hello readers so what have I done today that has been frugal ?

Well I have not left the house so today has been a no spend day but what have I done in the house to save money where I can ? I was up late last night as I couldn't sleep (think it's the excitement of going away next week :)). I decided to take advantage of my inability to sleep and put some washing on whilst the electric cost more than 50% less than it does during the day. I went round the house making sure that everything that could be turned off and unplugged was. I made sure that the water heater was turned off (we only have it on every other night which provides us with more than enough hot water). You see we are on economy 7 with our electric and we are an all electric house. This means that between the hours of midnight and 7am our electric costs us less than half what it does during the day. If you are on economy 7 I urge you to do most of your housework requiring electric during these hours if you are able to do so you will see a massive reduction in your electric bills as I have.

What else have I done today to save money ? Well I have hung my washing on racks to air dry negating the need for a tumble dryer. I have cooked tea for the next two days in my crock pot negating the need for my electric cooker (which eats electric I might add). We have kept warm by sitting on my electric blanket and wearing onesies and slippers over our clothes negating the need for heating. So I think we have done pretty well today.

Dinner tonight was spaghetti and meatballs in gravy
Pack of 25 meatballs 33p (yellow sticker plus a pre promotion)
One pack of spaghetti 20p (M savers)
1/4 Tub of gravy 5p (M savers)

Total 58p and made 6 portions so 10p per portion




So my lovely readers what little things do you do to save money on your electric bill ?

Much Love
Claire xx xx xx

3 comments:

  1. Hi Claire, if you don't have night storage heating then change to a standard daytime economy tariff sand get your meter changed. You are paying over the odds for day time electricity. Either that or have everything on timer such as the tumble drier and washing machine and switch the freezer off by day and keep it shut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Froogs
      We do have storage heaters but they cost about £8 a night to run so we make do with a couple of little oil filled radiators instead unless it's really cold and then I will put the heaters on for a night or two. When we get back from our holiday I am going to look into changing suppliers and tariffs though as you are completely right we are paying over the odds for our day time electric. I'm pretty savvy when it comes to making sure everything is switched off when not in use but I didn't think of switching the freezer off during the day so I will be adding that to my repertoire. Can I just say yours is one of the first blogs I came across when starting out on my frugal journey and I have learnt so much from you. I still read your blog daily and to have you read mine is truly a privilege. Thank you for all the advice via your blog over the years it has been an amazing help with my journey.
      Much Love Claire xxx

      Delete
    2. Good luck with changing suppliers, those little oiled filled radiators are cheap to run and thanks for the lovely comments xxxxx

      Delete